Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ribbit.... Ribbit.... Ribbit....


OK... We are staying at Frog City RV Park, in Duson, LA about 10 miles west of Lafayette and 5 mile east of Rayne, LA, Frog Capital of the World. They hold the Frog Festival here and they have all these murals on the side of some of the buildings with frogs in them.

When I took Buddy for his walk in the morning, I looked out at the field and saw all kinds of these mound like things... some where just mounds of dirt, others looked harder, almost like a bee hive upside down on the ground. When I asked, I found out the the loose dirt mounds were fire ants and the others were crawfish mounds. REALLY... they are all over the place... in peoples front yards, fields... EVERYWHERE..... And it rained there almost the entire time we were there. Another strange sight was to see the cemeteries above ground... the water table is too high to dig a proper grave in most places.

I did, however, get to go into my first Piggly Wiggly... never have been in one. We also took a drive out to Avery Island where the Tabasco factory is. We got to see a video as the factory floor wasn't operating on the weekend. I also got to try all the different flavors of Tabasco, which for anyone who knows me, is not my style, but some of them were pretty good. I even had ice cream made with the sweet and spicy Tabasco. It was really good. Another thing that I tried for the first time was crawfish.... Not the "break off the heads and suck them out" ones... the ones that were already out and prepared in an Etouffee... basically crawfish stew over rice... It was ok.. I would eat it again, but probably not if there was other stuff on the menu. 

Funny thing... this is cajun country and I forgot... I ordered Pork Chops thinking that they would just be plain pork chops, but they were covered in Slap Your Mama sauce... Woooeeeeee..... Good but spicy.... And Mardi Gras is not just in New Orleans, like I thought. It is the entire state of Louisiana as they were having some parades while we were there.



You can view videos at Delbert's Videos on YouTube.


Gotta run.....

No comments:

Post a Comment